Sunday, September 28, 2008

House of Sickies

Tuesday morning around 1:30 B woke up crying. I thought it was rather unusual since he usually sleeps through the night. I went and got him and started feeding him. He wasn't interested. In my sleepy state I kept trying to get him to eat thinking it was really weird for him not to want food. So around 2 I checked his temperature and sure enough it was 102 degrees!! NO GOOD! We gave him some Tylenol and he went back to sleep. Around the time I got him to sleep G woke up crying. When I went to check on her she said, "I'm sick. I need medicine." I wasn't convinced since she tells us she is sick sometimes when she just doesn't want to eat something specific or something like that. I took her temperature just to be sure - 102 degrees! She got her medicine. She then wanted to see dad. SO she ended up in bed with me and T slept in her bed to try and salvage the rest of the night for him since he had to be up at 5:30. It was pretty much off and on for the rest of the night. By the time T left for work they were both in bed with me.

Their temperatures stayed pretty consistent throughout the morning and since B is only 5 months I called the Dr. We got appointments for both kids for the afternoon and T was able to go with us. The Dr. said that G's breathing rate was a little fast and she was breathing a little weird so he did a nebulizer treatment to open up her lungs and a chest x-ray to see if he could find any evidence of asthma or pneumonia. There was none and we were given instructions to call if anything changed. He said that B just had a cold and there wasn't anything we could do for him because he is so little and just to keep giving him the Tylenol. While we were waiting on G's results B's Tylenol wore off and he was seeming really warm so we had the nurse take his temperature again. It was 103.3 this time. We gave him Tylenol immediately and were instructed to take him home and give him a room-temperature bath. That was my Tuesday.

The bath seemed to help and we were able to keep his temperature below 102 with baths, cool rags and Tylenol through Wednesday and Thursday. G's cold was helped with some over-the-counter cold medicine she is finally old enough to take. B was up the next 2 night with his fever and just being extra fussy.

Friday morning his fever was down to 100 so I didn't give him any Tylenol hoping to give his immune system a chance to fight off whatever it was. He did, however, develop a new symptom - His arms and legs were red, warm, a little puffy and he would cry every time I touched them. I called the Dr. again. They worked him in for that morning. The Dr. said it was probably just a virus causing a rash and the reason he was so fussy was because he was achy from the virus. He did some blood tests and a urine test just to make sure nothing else was going on. We were there for 4 hours waiting on the urine collection. NO FUN!! The nurse was extra nice, however, and got G some mac and cheese for lunch. T was able to meet us at the Dr.'s about the time it was all over but I was happy to have some help with the kids and some moral support. The Dr. called Fri. afternoon saying the urine test came back normal and that the blood work was still being processed and he would call us Monday.

Saturday we got our smiley, happy baby back for the most part. He still seems a little more needy than usual and has a little cough now. His red arms and legs are still present but they don't seem to be as achy or as warm. He still isn't sleeping all that well so as a result Mommy and Daddy are exhausted! We all stayed home from church today to try and recover and get a little extra rest.

So that has been my week - taking care of sick kids and waiting in the Dr.'s office and trying to get enough sleep so that I don't get sick as well. As a result, my house has suffered tremendously - the dishes and laundry are taking over!! Hopefully I will be able to catch up a little this week :)

Now for the comic relief - one of the nights (I don't remember which one.) we went to check on G and this is what we found.



We are not sure if she fell asleep geting out or getting in. Her right knee that is under the sheet is up by her elbow. It cracks me up that her toes are holding her weight so that she doesn't just fall out. We can usually count on G to make us smile right before bed!

No comments: